With July 4th squarely in our rearview mirror, we Minnesotans are entering the furnace of summer. Historically, July is the hottest month in the State of Minnesota and this heat can wreak havoc on decks, pergolas, and other outdoor structures. From missing screws to split boards, now is the time to complete an inspection of your home’s outdoor deck to ensure a safe second-half of summer.
The Minnesota deck builders at UglyDeck.com recommend this simple 7-step inspection to discover issues with an outdoor deck:
- Check that lag bolts are secured tightly against the house’s ledger board
- Fix or replace broken and missing nails in joist hangers and deck boards
- Find and replace broken, worn, or rotted deck planks
- Examine each support post for signs of rotting and degradation
- Ensure that posts are bolted and secured tightly to the outdoor deck
- Check flashing over and around the ledger board to ensure it is watertight
- Replace rickety railing posts or broken deck railings
Minnesota’s wide range of temperatures and weather conditions test the integrity of an outdoor deck every day. Completing a simple deck inspection and deck maintenance each year will ensure a safe and sturdy deck for years to come.