Ducks may love the water, but decks are less forgiving of rain and puddles. Before completely settling into your outdoor deck for the summer, the deck builders at UglyDeck.com strongly encourage you to ensure that is safe for use after a cold winter and a wet spring. Be sure to inspect all floorboards, stairs, and deck railings to determine if there is any deck maintenance or deck repairs that need to be performed.
If you do not have a maintenance free deck, then you are likely already well accustomed to regular deck upkeep. A deck constructed of maintenance free decking materials, like the ones at UglyDeck.com, significantly cuts down on the amount of repairs needed and the damage your deck might otherwise suffer. Maintenance free decks resist factors such as weather, mold, and rust. These long-term savings often help mitigate the initial cost of building a deck.
However, one thing you can do to improve the safety of your deck without replacing it is to install a maintenance free deck railing. This way, you can keep the structure of your original deck but add a new element of safety. With so many styles to choose from, you can find the deck railing that reflects your personal taste and compliments your home.
In the meantime, here are a few extra tips about making sure your deck is safe:
- Make sure deck railings are secure by noticing any movement when in normal use. If they wobble with gentle leaning, they might need repair or replacement.
- Do the same with your deck stairs, making sure steps are not loose and inspecting boards for wear and cracks.
- View your deck at night to confirm it is well lit – avoid any danger of tripping.
- Inspect the floorboards for damage, mold, and evidence of termites or other insects.
- If your deck is over 10 years old, consider hiring a licensed contractor to perform an inspection. They will know what to look for!
Learn more about our Minnesota deck building company by reading about our products online at UglyDeck.com or by visiting us in person at our Shakopee showroom. You can see deck designs and deck railing options firsthand, while gaining valuable help from our experts.