If you’ve always dreamt of updating your outdoor living space, you may wonder where to begin or whether extending your outdoor deck is even an option, depending on the size of your backyard or budget. This week we’d like to walk you through a recent deck renovation we completed for one of our UglyDeck.com clients. Not only did we extend our client’s existing deck space, but we also incorporated some stylistic, maintenance-free features to add more dimension and durability.
The Deck Transformation
In the above picture, our client had a traditional wooden deck that was in fairly good condition, but the layout and material didn’t offer any maintenance-free decking solutions, which meant more year-round work for the homeowner and less time outside enjoying the weekend.
Here are some aspects of the original deck that influenced and inspired our renovations:
- Material Choice: While the original wood was in decent shape, wooden decks require quite a bit of upkeep and maintenance, including frequent sealants and sanding to keep it from deteriorating. In fact, if wood remains untreated, it will affect the integrity and durability of the structure—especially in harsh weather climates.
- Limited Space: The homeowner wanted to maximize their outdoor space, but because of the layout of the stairs, there was less area available for decking to go without it obstructing the home’s windows.
- Large Staircase: As this is a second-story deck, the staircase is a necessity; however, as with any standard staircase, there was a very large footprint, which took up a good amount of space. And due to the height of the deck, the original staircase sticks out past the decking, taking away yard space and obstructing more views from the downstairs windows.
At the end of the day, our client wanted to achieve a more modern, updated outdoor deck that maximized space and usability and asked us how this was possible.
With some hard work and the use of maintenance-free decking materials, we were able to transform our client’s deck, adding more space and functionality. We opted for a spiral staircase and relocated it to the opposite side of the home. The renovated deck now offers a new maintenance-free space to entertain in and enjoy.
Here are some of the alterations and additions we made in this transformation:
- Powder-Coated Aluminum Railing System: This is an inexpensive option for homeowners that is durable, maintenance free, and weather resistant.
- Added Balcony Space: Off the front of the deck, the additional area allows for more deck space, without taking up excessive yard area, and the traditional beveled edges of the balcony offer the decking more dimension, complementing the homeowner’s style.
- Spiral Staircase: By opting for a deck with a spiral staircase, the overall footprint greatly reduces, taking up less yard space. We also minimized the obstructing of views from the house’s windows, all while adding more of a modern look.
- Deck Space Addition: Because we moved the staircase, we had the opportunity to utilize the empty space between windows and extend the square footage of the deck, providing a separate area for seating or outdoor cooking.
Overall, the renovations offered our client an outdoor deck that is both durable and stylish, adding more space and functionality, while eliminating the necessary upkeep. After all, we want to spend more time enjoying our deck space than maintaining it.
Looking for a Maintenance-Free Deck Renovation Solution?
At UglyDeck.com, our professional team of deck builders are eager to help homeowners, like you, achieve the outdoor deck of their dreams. No matter your budget or goals, we’re here to make your deck renovations easier, stylish, functional, and safe for the whole family.
If you’d like to see some of our products in action, visit one of our showrooms to get a feel for our collection of different materials, spiral staircases, railing styles, color options, and more. On our website, you can browse through more before and after photos that are sure to spark some inspiration for your own space.
When you’re ready, we offer free consultations and estimates, ensuring your outdoor deck suits your needs and style, while fitting within your budget, no matter the size. Contact us today to get started on a truly stunning outdoor deck space that is sure to wow.